Monday, June 4, 2012

Skincare Secrets

I like to think I've lived through it all. Skin-wise, that is. I've had awful, cystic acne, semi-bad acne, oily skin, dry skin, combination skin, etc throughout my life and have only in the last few years gotten it under control.

I've been seeing dermatologists and estheticians for years and here's a few tips I picked up from them!


  • You're never too young to start using an under eye cream. 

  • When shopping for a body moisturizer, avoid anything labeled lotion as it has a higher alcohol content which essentially just dries out your skin. Instead, look for products labeled "Moisturizer" or "hydrating cream". Some of the best ones are the Vaseline brand and Eucerin.

  • Wear sunscreen, or, if you're like me, skip the sunscreen and stay indoors 24/7. Either way works.

  • A skin lightener is a great way to even out skin tone and get rid of freckles on the face. 

  • Put lotion (I know I just said to avoid lotion, but I'll use it as a general term in this post) on within three minutes of getting out of the shower - this allows the product to properly absorb into your skin and do it's job.

  • Never rub your eyes! The eye skin is so delicate - any tugging or rubbing or harsh activity with it is bad for it.

  • Sunblock on the back of your hands will help them stop looking old - the two areas of a woman's body that show age the quickest are the hands and the neck. Protect them!

  • Olive oil is a great natural moisturizer - only use if you have well-balanced or dry skin though. Not recommended for sensitive skin. I use it when I've run out of my other moisturizers.

  • Exfoliation is key if you want your body and face to glow. St. Ives apricot scrub is inexpensive and easy to find!

  • You don't need expensive skin care products to keep your face looking lovely. Cetaphil cleanser is a gentle, yet completely effective cleanser for about $6 and Olay makes some wonderful anti-aging products that do the same as any $600 treatment would. I know this because I've tried both.

In the end, we only have one body and one set of skin (technically not since we're constantly producing new layers, but anatomy aside...) so why not take care of it?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment