Sunday, June 24, 2012

Blog Lovin' - 12 Months of Lent


Everyone throughout their life has had problems really keeping their New Years Resolutions. We might  tell ourselves we'll eat healthier, we'll exercise more, we'll get better at saving money, etc. - but more often than not, we fizzle out shortly after. 

A few weeks ago I was perusing the Lululemon blog, a favorite of mine for some fitness motivation, and stumbled across their post on an amazing blog called 12 Months of Lent, and was immediately intrigued by the concept. Started in 2008 by Danne Dzenawagis, the blog revolves around setting month-long goals and changing them each month, to try and form better habits. Though I'm not Catholic, the idea of Lent has always been an interesting one - personal sacrifice for a designated period of time as a sign of respect and spiritual awakening. 

Suddenly, the thought of exercising consistently three days a week for a month doesn't freak me out. And giving up carbs entirely for 30 days doesn't seem impossible. The cool thing about this concept is, if you hate it after a month, you never have to do it again - but there's a great chance you'll love it and begin to form much better habits! My favorite post from Dzenawagis was her detox month, where she cut out alcohol, dairy, artificial flavors, etc. for the whole month. 

I'll be giving this a shot starting July 1, though I've yet to decide what exactly my first project will be. Anyone going to try this with me? What will your first month be?

xx


UPDATE: Okay, I've decided that for the month of July I am going to focus solely on cutting out all bread and all other simple carbohydrates. I'll stick with wheat pasta (if at all) and grains like quinoa, tempeh, etc. This is a tough one for me, because all I want to eat ever is pizza and grilled cheese, so wish me luck guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment