Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fab Fitness On A Budget

Yesterday's post got me thinking...exercise is really expensive. Now, I know it doesn't have to be, I know that running outside is free. Push-ups are free. Sit-ups don't cost a dime. I get that. But for people who need the extra motivation of a fitness class, or who prefer equipment like treadmills, ellipticals, etc., it can get pretty expensive.

I recently moved out on my own. Living at home, my expenses were minimal and I made good money at my job so I was able to afford a gym membership. Since leaving the nest, I've had to cut costs and make tough decisions (i.e. which do I want more, Netflix or LA Fitness? Netflix, of course).

Here are a few of my secrets to staying fit while on a budget:

1. Take advantage of first-time client deals and discounts! This may be a no-brainer to the fiscally-responsible, but it was a new thing for me. After accepting I can't afford a monthly yoga membership or a commitment to a full-time gym, I shopped around for the activities I DID want to try, and asked about trial classes or first-time client discounts. The Barre3 class I took? 3 classes for $30 as a first-timer, otherwise classes run $20/per and $199/month for unlimited. Many places will offer a free trial class, or at least highly discounted. Just shop around.

2. Speaking of Netflix. If you're an exercise DVD person, Netflix has TONS of fitness dvds on their Instant Watch option. Select a yoga video or pilates and get started.

3. Tone It Up! The lovely ladies of Tone It Up, Karena and Katrina, changed my life. As certified nutritionists, they sell their meal plan for about $150. BUT, they offer YouTube videos that show full-body or area-specific workouts that you can do at home, on a break, or at the beach. They do "challenge" segments that are COMPLETELY free. You sign up and get an email sharing a calendar they created for you that shows what to do for the entire month. They also email special things to cut out of your diet during challenge months, new workout videos they have posted, and healthy recipes to get you excited about exercise and eating healthy. Their Bikini Challenge is what introduced me to them, and got me on a great path. They are starting a new Fall Challenge soon that includes give-aways. So check them out, here!

So there you have it, a few ideas to keep your body guessing and not slipping into the same old routine, while still not breaking the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment