Sunday, November 13, 2011

PDX Restaurant Raves: Swagat Indian Cuisine


My fiance and I (and my whole family, for that matter) are huge fans of Southern Asian cuisine. When looking for a good Indian place up here, we hadn't made much headway. A random craving for chicken tikka masala last night left me searching high and low for the best Indian place in PDX.

We ended up at Swagat's, a tucked away restaurant on Lovejoy St. in the Alphabet District. We were seated right away at a little table in the dining room and ordered beverages. My fiance is a fan of beer, while I love to try house martinis and went with the Rose Petal. Like it's name, it was a flowery, refreshing drink with crushed mint. We decided to skip appetizers and order the Thali dinners - a lunch special-esque deal...just for dinner. For $14-16, you get your entree, rice, raita, several sides of vegetables, soup, fresh naan and a dessert. Since I'm vegetarian, I went with the vegetable version of chicken tikka masala - a mix of nine different vegetables in a sweet, slightly spiced curry while my handsome date went with the chicken makhani - pieces of chicken cooked in a buttery curry sauce.

The Thali dinners were an awesome amount of food for the price, but I think in the future we'll stick with one Thali dinner and one entree a la carte. Otherwise it's just an insane amount of food - but does make for great leftovers!

Prices overall were really great, so if you're in the area, definitely eat at Swagat! They have an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for around $9, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment