Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Product rave (?): Boscia Luminizing Black Mask

I haven't had a Manicure Monday post in a while. That makes me sad! Before I get into this post, I'll share my current nail color with you. No pic, but if you're into greys go buy Essie's Master Plan. As my friend Tess says, it is the perfect grey! She texted me to tell me about it the other day so I ran and got my bottle out of my stash. It's a really perfect fall/autumn color. Am I supposed to capitalize those? I never know.

Boscia is a skin care line found at Sephora, which advertises themselves as "preservative-free". I'd heard people rave about their Makeup to Breakup Cleansing Oil, but could never bring myself to try it because I have a hard time buying something with the word "oil" in it, as I already have oily skin. When a SA at Sephora tried to sell me on this Luminizing Black Mask, I just said, "Oh...thanks, I'm okay..." and walked off, scoffing that I'd never spend $34 on a mask that wasn't done by my esthetician. Incidentally, a girl who's YouTube videos I watch, purchased it nearly the same day and made a video on it and how amazing it was.

I relented and purchased it. I have this shopping problem, if you haven't noticed, where half the time I don't even care what I buy as long as I walk out of the store with something. This happened to be a purchase that made me happy long afterward. The mask was a little scary at first, as it is opaque black and warns you not to put it anywhere near the delicate under eye area, or the eyebrow area as it will damage the skin/rip all your hairs out.

(Photo cred: www.sephora.com)


After it's on, you let it dry about 20 minutes, or until it feels tight. You may want to do this on a date where your family/significant other is not home, as the sight of you will be scary and the mask is so tight that you can't move your mouth to reassure your family members that is, indeed, you. It is especially scary at night.

This is where it gets weird. I've never really used at-home masks before, until recently, and this one requires you to peel it off. While I imagine they are trying to make you believe (and maybe it works, who knows) that you are peeling off impurities that have stuck to the mask, it is also rather painful. If you have any hairs at all on your face, and we all do so don't even try to lie and say you don't, you can rest assured that they will come off. So if you think about it, you get a complementary waxing with your purchase of this mask. Albeit a painful, slow waxing.

This may sound like a slightly negative review up until now. The thing that got me with this product was that it actually does work. Your skin looks amazingly luminous after just one use. My favorite way to use it is to wear it for a while before going out, then do your regular makeup routine and your skin will look great all night.

At $34 a pop this mask is rather expensive, and I'd honestly say to skip it and go with something else - or put that money towards a legitimate facial. It has great results, but the road to get there may not be all that worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment