Friday, May 11, 2012

embrace who you are

Sure, the title is cheesy. I felt cheesy writing it - but I mean it. All of this introspection I've been doing lately has really led me to this one little thought - people should just embrace who they really are. Obviously, if you're embracing being a pedofile or a person who is cruel to animals, I'm probably not talking to you.

I spent years of my life trying to be the person I thought every one would like. My speech, my attitude, my dress and my world views would change with each group of friends I had, each relationship I was in, and each trend that occurred. I constantly wondered why I ended up with friends who never got me - I never felt good enough. The older I've gotten, the more I've realized what I like and what I want to do and that I'm allowed to like and do these things. I no longer judge people for their decisions I used to deem weird.

Here's some things about me that I'm embracing full-force. Don't like it? Too bad.

- I hate the beach. I don't like going to it. I don't like the sun, the sand, the people, the sticky air. I effing hate it. Does that make me a poor sport? Do I turn down opportunities to hang out with friends because they're going to the beach? Yes. Does that make me feel bad? No. I don't have to do what I don't want to do and neither do you.

- I love horror movies. Cheesy, gorey, bad acting, good acting, no story plot, I don't care. It's practically all I watch anymore and anything else, to me, is a waste of time.

- I prefer my dog, and all dogs, to just about any person in the world. I value animal's lives over people's lives and I don't feel one bit bad about saying that. Animals have an innocence that no human being can ever encompass - and I feel insanely protective of that.

- I think it's weird when girls can't get along with other girls. It shows bad character. I used to be one of those girls - but I've since grown up.

- I don't like exaggerations. If I tell you you "always" do something, you'd better believe I'll have at least three examples of specific incidents and I expect the same from others.

- I love the color pink and anything glittery. I'd probably decorate my room with My Little Ponies if my fiance would allow it. I'm a super girly girl and I don't pretend not to be.

- I don't like camping! No part of not showering and sleeping on the ground sounds fun to me.

- I'm perfectly content to be marrying the guy of my dreams and spending the rest of my life with him. I don't believe in divorce and I don't like the pressure that the media puts on people to cheat or to look elsewhere for affection when things aren't 100% great at home.

- I love Kate Middleton

- I don't like art. I don't get it, can't do it and can't get into it. I'm not creative and I'm okay with that!

- I'm really old fashioned and not all that fun. I like going to bed early and I expect men to open the door for me and treat me like a lady. I like to dance and hang out and have a cocktail or two but when I'm done I'm done and I don't like people pressuring me to stay out.

- I appreciate good manners - like Emily Post good manners.

- I do what my parents want me to do. They are always right and have never steered me in the wrong direction. Any time I have veered from what they think I should do, it has always been a mistake - hands down. To me, it's the ultimate sign of respect to do what your parents expect of you. They have done without their whole lives so that I could have the things that I have. Granted, not everyone's parents have their best interest in mind, and that's a sad fact.

I'm sure there's a ton more where these came from, and I'll let them form their own posts another time perhaps. In the mean time, I'd love to know some things you've embraced about yourself recently.

1 comment: